skip to main | skip to sidebar

Monday, November 17, 2008

PRACTICING WITH AN ARTHUR RACKHAM WORK.

This is a freehand drawing I did as an exercise suggested from a drawing book I read. The idea is to find an already completed line drawing (in this case one done by Arthur Rackham in 1912 entitled "The Wolf and the Goat"). In the exercise, you turn the completed drawing you are going to copy upside down and in turn, you complete the drawing upside down. The idea behind the exercise is that you focus your attention better when you don't truly understand what it is that you see. You don't give in to assumptions, i.e. "now draw a goat horn, etc." instead you take each new bit as it comes to you. I was astounded when I was done and turned the drawing right-side up.
Posted by Gunshy at 1:31 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Gunshy

"The arts are not a way to make a living. They are a very human way of making life more bearable. Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. ... Do it as well as you possibly can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something." ~ Kurt Vonnegut

OTHER GOOD WORKS

  • Bill Sallak
  • Chris Ware
  • David Choe
  • Devendra Banhart
  • ekundayo
  • Eric Joyner
  • Evah Fan
  • facecollective
  • Jesse Bransford
  • Joe Brainard
  • Mark Allen Miller
  • Matt Kish
  • McSweeney's
  • Paul Hornschemeier
  • Pudlo Pudlat
  • Raymond Pettibon
  • Shel Silverstein
  • Tessar Lo
  • The Royal Art Lodge
  • Tomer Hanuka

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2008 (35)
    • ▼  November (35)
      • ▼  17 (35)
        • OW...YAY!
        • YOU'RE DEAD. COUNT TO TEN.
        • HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON IN THERE?
        • NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTION.
        • HOME IS WHERE YOUR MOMS IS.
        • I KNEW I DID ALL THAT FOR A REASON.
        • I MISS MY SHOULDERS, ARMS, TORSO, LEGS AND FEET.
        • IGOR STRAVINSKY STORES NUTS FOR WINTER.
        • BULLY
        • ONE OF THE WORST CONVERSATIONS EVER.
        • THE REAGAN YEARS
        • I, FOR ONE, WILL WELCOME OUR CHINESE OVERLORDS.
        • SKETCHES FROM LAURELHURST PARK. (I)
        • WISCONSIN, YO!
        • CHARACTER SKETCH FROM LAURELHURST PARK.
        • I'm Coming For You
        • I RIPPED THIS PICTURE OFF AND THEN GAVE THE SINGER...
        • STUDIES INDICATE WE MIGHT GET OUT OF HERE SOONER I...
        • THIS HOME PROTECTED BY A BI-POLAR SCHIZOPHRENIC.
        • SOMEDAY I'M GOING TO LIVE UP HERE AND SPIT ON ALL ...
        • SOLVE YOUR PROBLEMS THE OLD-FASHIONED WAY.
        • WE'RE GONNA DIE OUT HERE.
        • I'D RATHER BE LICKING MY CROTCH.
        • PRACTICING WITH AN ARTHUR RACKHAM WORK.
        • SHE PROBABLY LIVES HERE NOW.
        • No title
        • COWBOYS NEVER WEAR SPANDEX
        • PRACTICING TEXTURES I RIPPED OFF FROM OTHER PEOPLE...
        • A SCENE FROM G.G. MARQUEZ NOVEL, "ONE HUNDRED YEAR...
        • Waiting.
        • CHARACTER SKETCH FROM LAURELHURST PARK. (III).
        • EXIST AND RESIST.
        • Seventeen Sondras
        • THIS IS NOT A GOOD PLACE FOR A TOWN.
        • No title
  • ►  2009 (6)
    • ►  July (1)
      • ►  28 (1)
    • ►  October (1)
      • ►  14 (1)
    • ►  November (4)
      • ►  6 (3)
      • ►  8 (1)
  • ►  2010 (3)
    • ►  February (1)
      • ►  28 (1)
    • ►  March (1)
      • ►  18 (1)
    • ►  April (1)
      • ►  22 (1)
Gunshy
San Francisco, CA, United States
View my complete profile